Monday, April 24, 2017

Essay Exhibits

Walking around and viewing many of my classmates final presentations, it truly illustrates how massive the field of Digital Humanities is. Throughout the exhibits, it was very interesting to come across all of the different topics that so many people found interest in, such as video games, technological convergence, data-mining, and even Google Maps essays. One of my favorite essay exhibits I viewed was by Dominique Marini. Dom covered the idea of the benefits from playing video games, from a Social, Emotional, and Physical perspective. I could personally relate to Dom's project, which I believe is why I enjoyed learning about what he had to say. Growing up playing video games my whole life, I found it interesting to make connections between Dom's research and my own personal experience with video games, especially when the topic of Skyrim came up: a game I have spent many many hours playing myself. Dom's presentation was well informed and brought up many thought provoking ideas.


A second presentation I viewed and enjoyed was Jon Dicey's presentation of the prevalence of video games in modern-day society. Dicey used a wide variety of data to determine who are today's "video gamers," and what video games are most commonly played and how they have changed. He also added into his project of how the majority of these people playing video games are affected by playing them.


Each presentation I viewed intriguingly and uniquely captured the area of the Digital Humanities field that they were covering. However, some of the most interesting projects I viewed were all centered around video games because I could both learn and provide input for these presentations. My final project is centered around video games, so all these exhibits also provided some inspiration for my own project as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment